Writing challenge – 100 words for grown-ups

I found this writing challenge while stumbling about on Twitter. I do like a good writing challenge, especially one I can knock out before breakfast, so the 100 words for grown-ups challenge, run weekly by The Head’s Office, grabbed me straight away.

This week the challenge was to take one (or all three) of a list of words that have recently been deleted from the COED and used them in a 100-word piece. I love the COED – it’s one of my must-have tools when I’m working – but I’m also enough of a word-geek that I enjoy simply flipping through it reading definitions at random. Therefore, for this challenge I decided to go all definitional, but then got a bit sidetracked on the last one – well, you’ll see what I mean.

Foozle – the kind of mess that happens when a small black kitten, intent only on trying to help, decides to tidy a basket of wool.

Brabble – what happens when Twitter gets a bit overheated about someone’s unfavourable review of Dr Who.

Growlery – a private growly place, just for me? Goodness, I wish I had one of those. I’d never leave it. There’d be a big sign on the door saying “GO AWAY, I’M GROWLING”, and some books, and a kettle, and probably some chocolate, and more books, and my computer, and my cat, and more books, and … oh. Sorry.

Advertisements

12 thoughts on “Writing challenge – 100 words for grown-ups

1. jfb57 says:

This is such a fun post & so well designed. Using olde worlde words in a modern context! I do wish we still had some of them around. Well done for persevering with the comments. Technology will not win!! 😉

2. Susan Mann says:

This is really good. I never thought to do it that way. Love the twitter one. 😉

3. Ellen says:

I have foozled it too. I officially can’t do clever haiku!

4. Erin says:

Love it! This one reminds me of playing the board game Balderdash with my inlaws at Christmas! Xx

• Louise says:

Reminds me of Call My Bluff, although I wasn’t thinking of it at the time. Clearly I’d have been rubbish at that, though – too easily distracted!

5. Anna Halford says:

What an original way to use the prompt. Reminded me of “The daft dictionary” by Gyles Brandreth that I had as a child. Super.

• Louise says:

Thank you! I can confirm that foozle is in my trusty copy of the COED, but growlery and brabble are not – I may write and complain, demanding an older version…

6. Sally-Jayne says:

I like the idea of doing this as a series of definitions. I particularly like the one for foozle.

• Louise says:

That definition may or may not have been based on the behaviour of a certain cat who may or may not live with me. Let’s just say I don’t leave balls of wool on the floor any more.